Thursday, March 15, 2007

Toronto Back Alleys pt. 13


For those who asked, here's another back alley painting. And, like the last one, its a winter scene. This one took a little longer than usual to draw, mainly because I was trying to be very careful with it. I drew this after I had screwed up a drawing just previous to this one (not posted here). There's few things that bum me out more than blowing a drawing in the last few moments after spending hours on it. It really deflates me. An old art teacher of mine once told me that you don't make one mistake, you always make at least two -- you make a mistake and then you quickly make another trying to fix it. And then, sometimes, you make another and another....which of course, is exactly what happened! Anyway, the problem with working with coloured inks like I do is that there's very few ways to fix mistakes once you've made them. I also try to be fairly spontaneous and loose with these sketches as well, so it can be a bit of a balancing act trying to experiment without making mistakes.

Regardless, I thought this one worked out well enough to share here. I hope you like it!