Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Pen and Ink (and Basketball)


Those who know me, know I am a totally obsessive NBA basketball nut (see? Its not comics and Kirby all the time!) so here's a pen and ink portrait of Toronto Raptors forward, Chris Bosh. After a few losing seasons, the Raptors finally made the playoffs recently and I think I had that in mind when I was doodling tonight after work.

As you might be able to tell, this one was drawn in pen and ink -- a medium I enjoy but don't work in often. I usually prefer to do most of my work with a brush, but every once in a while I break out the pens and try to work out the kinks just for variety's sake. Since I don't use them enough, I've never been very confident about my pen technique and it was about two-thirds of the way through this drawing before I felt I was getting into a rhythm with it, but I thought I'd post it here anyway. Of course, I referened a photo for this one, specifically from a cover of Slam Magazine.

If you're interested in seeing more of my very rare attempts with pen and ink, I've posted some other portraits of basketball players in an older blog entry here.