Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Last Son of Krypton



Here's another superhero themed drawing, this one of the first (and most famous) superhero: Superman!

I drew this one up as my contribution to the upcoming "Visions of an Icon" art exhibition, which will feature tons of drawings of Kal-El (that's his Kryptonian name -- I know this because I'm geeky) by canadian illustrators and comic artists. All the drawings in the show, including mine, will be auctioned off as a fundraiser for the Shuster Awards -- the canadian comic creator awards named after Superman co-creator Joe Shuster.

I have to admit this one was pretty quick and fun to draw -- I drew the thumbnail sketch shown below really quickly, like in 20 minutes or so, and did only the most minor tweaks to it on the way to the final art. The biggest change was that I went with green as my tone-colour -- mainly because my wife noted that green fit the krypton/kryptonite connection.

Mind you, I do have a tendency to go with green anyway...

Incidentally, I got the inspiration for the composition of this drawing from a non-superman related source. There's a very famous Will Eisner Spirit story called, I think, "the Visitor" or something like that, with a great splash page featuring a portrait of the Spirit framed inside a planet. I remember seeing that page when I was about 14 or 15 years old and staring at it for a long time, just absorbed in the beauty and mood of that piece. I was thinking again of that splash page and the kind of atmosphere it evoked when I came up with the thumbnail.

13 comments:

Jason Chalker said...

Oh man, Mike! That is so freakin' rad. I bow to your superior drawing skills.

Diana said...

It's funny when I first saw this I thought - man I wish he had used a blue tone instead. Now after seeing both, green was definitely the right call. I'm finishing my piece up right now!

D.

Kyu Shim said...

Nice, Mike.
I'd like to check out the show on the 14th. Do I need tickets or what? What time does it start?

Michael Cho said...

Jason: Thanks, Jason -- glad you liked it, buddy.

Diana: yeah, Claudia was right about the green in my opinion. I did the sketch in blue first too, thinking it'd suit it more, but the green was the right call. And I'm sure your new piece will be dynamite -- looking forward to seeing it!

Kyu: thanks, Kyu. As for the show -- I think its free to the public as far as I know. Are you talking about the Shuster awards or the exhibit? To the best of my knowledge, both are free.

Jason Truong said...

I can't wait to see this beauty up close (and all the other ones I've seen so far). Green definitely does work better for this piece. I can't wait until June 14th. That will be one great day of celebration and fun.

Kyu: The show is free to attend, but since the Joe Shuster Awards is a not-for-profit organization, it runs on donations. The suggested donation: $4 in support of the Awards or 3 gently used comics and/or one graphic novel for contribution to the Judith Merrill Collection/Toronto Public Library & Ontario Lieutenant-Governor Book Drive.

Ben said...

It is nigh impossible for me to describe how much I like this piece without using swears. So I'll just say: Nice 'n' Shustery.

Joel said...

Mike you break my brain open all the time! This is great!

Kirby used Superman in Jimmy Olsen.... is that enough of a stretch to post this on my Blog?

spacesick said...

Mikey! I missed you. and your amazing colors. this is just fantastic. and I always love a good back story.

Dominic Bugatto said...

That turned out really nicely . I'm digg'n it.

Michael Cho said...

Jason: thanks, Jason. I'm looking forward to the Shuster event too.

Ben: thanks, Ben. Nice to hear from you. Hope all is well out east.

Joel:hahah! Glad you liked it, dude. And I LOVED those Kirby Jimmy Olsens! You can post it on your blog if you feel like it.

Spacesick: awww -- I missed you too.

Dominic: thanks, Dominic.

Scott Chantler said...

This reminds me...I *really* need to get working on my Superman piece.

You have, of course, set the bar ridiculously high now.

Michael Cho said...

hahah -- nice, Scott. Though I'm sure your piece will be better than mine. But you better get cracking soon, buddy -- deadline is approaching like a speeding locomotive.

Kevin Barber said...

Fantastic.