Monday, May 03, 2010

Best American Comics 2010


This was a fun assignment, and a real honour. I was asked by Houghton Mifflin and series editors Matt Madden and Jessica Abel to design and illustrate the cover for the 2010 edition of their annual Best American Comics anthology. They gave me free reign to draw what I wanted, so over the course of a couple of weeks early in January, I sat down and worked out this image. Like most of my favourite cover assignments, the concept for this one came together pretty intuitively and I had an idea of what kind of response the image should provoke. This deluxe hardcover collection of excellent comic stories ships in the fall.

This year's guest editor, Neil Gaiman, also chose to include my 14 page story "Trinity" (a non-fiction comic about the creation of the atomic bomb) as part of the collection. Again, a real honour.